Friday, July 16, 2010

When I have kids, they will have the most amazing clubhouse ever. Thank you African hut building skills.

Hello Friendies,

This last week has blown by so fast. I only have 3 more weeks of class, one extra week of spending time helping missionaries around the base, and then I’ll be flying home. It feels like I’ve been here in Pemba forever, but at the same time it also feels like it hasn’t been a whole summer yet. It’s the same feeling for coming home. On one hand I really would love to stay here forever. The people are awesome, the things that God is doing amongst the poor is absolutely astounding, and I feel like I’ve grown more in the last few months that I ever have before. Of course I also can’t wait to get home, see my family, share with my friends, and have the biggest chicken fried steak I can find. Bittersweet.

So this week was probably my biggest week I’ve had yet. Last weekend I had a bit of a rough time with some different friendships and I found myself really frustrated with myself and others. I remember waking up one morning just fuming mad about who knows what, making up fake situations in my head, etc. My mind is a complicated place, haha. Anyways, I asked God why the heck I felt so crummy and he simply told me that I cared so much about what other people thought of me that I let it control my emotions, thoughts, and feelings. It would even go so far as to affect my relationships with my friends at the base because I would treat everyone badly as I was having my own pity party in my mind. Is no bon. God then asked me a series of eye opening questions such as, “Have I ever done something to make you feel bad? Have you ever had a bad day in my presence? Have you ever seen my love fail you? If your thoughts and your attentions are focused on me and my love then you will never have a bad day. No matter what circumstances you happen to be going through, as long as you remain in my presence and care only what I think of you then you will always walk in joy. Enjoy me, that’s all I ask.” I had been looking for some breakthrough to go after, some specific area of growth that I needed, and this last weekend God gave it to me. He told me that understanding how to care about only what he thinks of me was the only reason I was brought to Mozambique, everything else is simply dessert.

So yeah, that was a way good revelation, haha. Yesterday I got to go back to Felipe’s home in the village (from the last post) and we bought his family chicken and potatoes and had an amazing fried chicken feast with garlic fries. It was amazing getting to bless his family as they had blessed us and just enjoy God with them.

I thank you all so much for continuing to pray for me over the last few months. If you could please continue to pray that my mind and my heart would be focused on God as I come closer and closer to returning home. Also pray that God would continue to bring finances in for me as I still owe about 400 dollars to pay off the rest of my trip. Love you guys and miss you lots!

Jon Watson

2 comments:

  1. No matter what circumstances you happen to be going through, as long as you remain in my presence and care only what I think of you then you will always walk in joy.

    I think that's a good action item for us as future roommates to work on this year. Not caring what other people think, just what God would think. I feel like I'm too much of a people pleaser myself and if I stop that habit, it would be less stressful and more fun.

    Miss you roomie - David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude that was soo good! I've been reading all your blogs though now those each one is a month or so old. So freaking awesome what you've been experiencing and learning. You make me happy jon Watson.

    ReplyDelete