To begin this post, I would like to formally apologize for my pure laziness. I meant over and over to write a post telling about the last leg of my journey home from Mozambique. I found myself putting it off over and over again until I find myself here, seeking the infinite forgiveness of my wonderful readers of last summer. So this will be my attempts to recap the last bit of my last adventure, and to introduce you to my next adventure.
All in all, the three months I spent in Mozambique was definitely one of those “life changing experiences.” I put that In quotes because that phrase has always sounded weird to me. I guess I’ve always felt that my desire to do missions isn’t just a few experiences that will teach me a number of things that Ill tell my church and friends about. I don’t see it as a phase or anything either. Its my life, and so a day in Mozambique, while radically different from any other day here in the states, just feels natural to me. But since it is important that I actually do talk about the things that changed my life in Mozambique, I will allow myself to fall victim to my own clichés.
If I had to choose, I think the most important thing I got out of my trip was a greater understanding of the things I am passionate about, the stuff that really makes me tick. These were my desire to do long-term missions long term (like forever would be great) and my passion for worship. For the first, I have never had such a longing or desire to stay someplace that wasn’t home. I remember the plane trip from Pemba, and how it felt like I was leaving behind a huge piece of who I was. Not necessarily because of Pemba itself, but because I was leaving behind what had sincerely become my home for those three months. I was leaving behind hundreds of amazing, compassionate, loving people, whether they were other students with me on base, or Mozambican nationals that had welcomed me into their community with loving arms. Several of these people had become my closest friends. They came to know me much better than people Ive known for years. It wasn’t Pemba that I had entrusted with my heart, it was this incredible community. That is one of the key factors for me in missions. Not the country, or the beach, or the number of places I could find a genuine sugar laced Sprite (although Im not complaining…). It’s a community that you can love and trust, people who are real with each other, people who honor each member, and people who support and depend on each other. Ill tell ya, there’s nothing like seeing someone walk into a room hurting and dying on the inside, and be so instantly loved and encouraged by the other hundred people in the room. It’s a loving compassion that is usually reserved for those who are completely dependent on Jesus, because they themselves have experienced His loving compassion while they were hurting and broken hearted. At the end of the day, everyone needs to be loved, whether they know it or not, and It would be an absolute joy to be a part of a community that exemplified this every day. I’m still learning what this looks like and how to do my part to make it a reality. It’s a process that Im sure will bring new ideas and challenges every day, but Im excited to run headlong down that road.
My passion for worship was also heightened at the school. It’s incredible when you see the difference between worship at a church service where it is simply a ritual done because it is expected, and the worship that is an intimate act of desperation. One of the greatest things I learned from Mozambicans was that they worshiped out of a pure and thankful heart. It wasn’t because it sounded nice, or to look good in front of other people, it was because they are madly in love with the God who met their needs in their greatest distress. It shouldn’t matter whether or not our situations turn out the way we hoped or dreamed. David shows us examples of worshiping God before or after a great military victory, as well as examples of worship after a great heartbreak, such as the death of his son to Bathsheba. David is one of my heroes and mentors in worship because he didn’t worship out of his circumstances. He worshiped out of a simple truth. God is God and He is worthy of our worship.
So, with all that having been said, I would like to let you in on my next big step. I’ve felt led to go back to Mozambique once again (hence the title of this particular post). This time, I will be a part of the staff team for the Harvest School of Missions. We have already accepted a little over a hundred students from all over the world to take part in HS14, and many are still on their way. As a staff member for HS14 I get to pour into these students, praying for them to receive breakthrough and revelation in specific areas of their lives. I will become a servant-leader, leading by example in love and kindness. I will also have the responsibilities of being a house leader of a group of guys, a color leader consisting of a group of students and Mozambican pastors, and lead various outreaches and activities around the base. After the students have graduated, I am also leading a small team of eight to a city in Northern Mozambique for three weeks. The base here used to be a brothel where young women and girls used to be prostituted to men in the area. God has worked to bring this injustice to an end, and now the base serves to love on those who were previously imprisoned. We will be loving on the locals in this area, assisting the building projects taking place on base, and going out to do outreaches to the people in this region who have never heard of Jesus. I am very excited to see what God will do through me, as well as how God will stretch the students partaking in the Harvest School this year.
This is where I again ask for your help. As before, I have two specific needs to ask of my readers. The first is in prayer. As you may have read before, when I was a student in the last school we, as students, faced much spiritual oppression and warfare. Thankfully, our prayer covering was strong, and God brought us through many of the rough and dark times we faced, and we were able to see His glory revealed on multiple occasions. As a staff member, I have been told to expect an increase in the spiritual atmosphere, and seek a strong group of people who will pray for me throughout the summer. If you would like to be a part of this group, who will receive prayer and blog updates by email, then please post your email below, or send an email to jmw299@gmail.com and I would love to put you on this list.
My second need is the collection of finances to pay for the necessities while I am in Africa. I am not able to cover these expenditures alone, so Im asking you to ask the Lord if He would like you to sow into my ministry this summer. As a staff member I have been compensated with room and board for the three months I will be in Mozambique, as well as being covered for my extended outreach. However, I do have the responsibility of paying for my airfare to and from Mozambique, applying for a visa into the country, and other things necessary for life in Africa (water purifier, fruits & veggies, etc.). Ive estimated that I need to collect anywhere between $3000-3500 to pay for these needs. If you feel led to support me financially there are a few different options you have.
1) Print and fill out the attached “Ministry Partnership” form. Send this and a check/money to
Christian Challenge
424 S. Beaver St
Flagstaff, AZ
86001
Please note, in order for your contribution to be considered tax deductible your check needs to be made out to Christian Challenge and my name cannot be included (follow instructions on attached form). Christian Challenge has graciously agreed to assist with my finances and help me prepare for this journey. If you have any questions please send me an email and I will get back to you.
2) Use the “Donate” button found here on my blog, or on Facebook at one of the following locations: http://bit.ly/f3v3Sa , http://www.facebook.com/jonwatsonmusic ,or https://www.facebook.com/JWatsonMusic. This application is run through PayPal and will accept fund transfers from another PayPal account, or certain debit/credit cards. (Note: This option does charge a 5% processing fee from each donation. If you’re not interested in having this happen please use the first option).
3) I will also be able to request funds directly through PayPal by email. This should also be free from the service charge by using the donate button. Email me for information.
That’s about all I have for you this time. Please prayerfully consider supporting me with prayer or financially. I will begin updating this blog again in the coming months, as well as during my stay in Mozambique. If you have any questions, please email me at jmw299@gmail.com, or send me a message on Facebook and Ill get back with you as soon as possible. Thank you so much for your diligent reading and support!
Love,
Jon Watson
"Ministry Partnership Form" (Copy & Paste)
Ministry Partnership
Pledge
Name:
Address:
I will partner with________________________(my name) in this ministry opportunity to Africa.
(check those that apply)
to partner in prayer! Email address______________________________________________
to partner financially! Amount enclosed__________.
Please make your tax-deductible contribution to Christian Challenge.
Please do not write my name on the memo line, otherwise this contribution can not be considered
tax-deductible. Please write Mozambique in the memo line.
Please return this slip to:
Christian Challenge
424 S. Beaver St
Flagstaff, AZ
86001
Thank you!
Hey Jon,
ReplyDeleteI'd be happy to pray for you over the summer and to get your blog updates, my email is ebrandow86@gmail. :)
yeah buddy! I'm so excited for you man! Btw you are a great writer and I can't wait to read your blogs. Love you man
ReplyDeleteWhen you serve others you are only in the service of your God. Good luck, keep us on your list for updates. nielsonaz@cox.net
ReplyDelete